Monday, June 14, 2010

The Worth of Souls

"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God"
-D&C 18:10

When I think of this scripture, I remember how Joseph Smith worded it in the movie they show at Temple Square. He says, "The worth of EVERY soul is GREAT in the sight of God." He says this while bound in chains and after rebuking the men who were discussing all the terrible things they did to a man who betrayed him. I've often wondered if Joseph is referring to him or to the men who sit before him. As I've pondered about this, I realized that it doesn't matter, EVERY soul has worth no matter what they've done.

I remember when I was scared to come to college and meet new people. Sometimes the task just seemed too daunting. So many new things, places, and people. As I was complaining to my brother, he said some words I will never forget. "Do you think Heavenly Father knows you?" I responded with a yes. "And don't you think he got to know you and talked to you individually?" He also asked that if we are trying to be like him, shouldn't we want to get to know people?

I was stunned.

Never had the thought crossed my mind before. I have come to realize just how important that teaching moment was for me. It has only been when I've taken the time to talk to and get to know someone that I've come to see their true worth. People are so amazing! Obviously, they are all around, but do we really know in who's midst we stand?

C S Lewis said, It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would strongly be tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal.”

Never forget your own worth or of those around you... you might just find a best friend when you let down your guard and see the true beauty and worth in the most annoying person at work or at school or on the street. In the end it doesn't matter if you met a rock star or the richest man alive. All people have potential and worth and are amazing beyond our ability to imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Kyrie!! Your blog is best. Thanks for helping out all of the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete